Prerequisites for this class would include taking at least one semester of chemistry at the college level or an in-depth chemistry course at the high school level. Portions of this class will relate to the business and logistics aspects of the chemical industry and would be a good opportunity to see and understand how world economics affects the global marketplace.
Each student will have an inexpensive laptop/tablet that will be defined by the instructors. This device will contain all of the reading material listed below in an electronic format. The device will be used during the course to read all required material and preform research on line. In addition, this device will be used to prepare all presentations, prepare and administer quizzes, keep notes, prepare their poster-journal, and prepare their written journal.
1. German Survival Guide: The Language and Culture You Need to Travel with Confidence in Germany; Elizabeth Bingham; World Prospect Press; ISBN-13: 978-0970373465A
2. History of the International Chemical Industry; Fred Aftalio; University of Pennsylvania PressISBN-13: 978-0941901291
3. The Kaiser's Chemists: Science and Modernization in Imperial Germany; Jeffrey Allan Johnson; University of North Carolina Press; ASIN: B00DU7ZCO4
4. Modern Alchemy: Occultism and the Emergence of Atomic Theory; Mark S. Morrisson; Oxford University Press; ISBN-13: 978-0195306965
20% - Group Participation and Attendance
20% - Research and presentation on institution/site visits
20% - Prepare exam/quiz for other students based on assigned company
20% - Poster-journal
20% - Written report
, Augustana University, (605) 274-5008, e-mail: email@example.com
, Augustana University, (605) 274-5496, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Description of Faculty Directors
Application Procedures & Deadline
||Dr. Andrew Klose arrived at Augustana University in the fall of 2015 after a two-year appointment as a National Research Council Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Time and Frequency Division at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Boulder, Colorado. He received his bachelor’s degree with majors in chemistry and mathematics from the University of Jamestown (ND), and earned his Ph.D. in nuclear chemistry from Michigan State University. The Klose Group research program focuses on precision laser spectroscopic measurements of trace gases using cavity-enhanced techniques.
||Dr. Andrew Strandjord is currently a professor of Organic Chemistry at Augustana University. He received his Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry from the University of Minnesota and his Undergraduate Degree in Physics and Biology at Luther College in Decorah, IA. During the 80-90s, he was a Project Leader for the Laser Group and Electronic Materials group at Dow Chemical. In this position, he did process development work on the BCB electronic materials for redistribution applications. In 1998, he started the bumping company IC Interconnect in Colorado Springs. In 2005 he worked at Flip Chip International as the Senior Scientist for the company and was involved in bringing up the electroless nickel/gold plating process in China. From 2005-2007 he also served as the VP of Technology for the International Microelectronics and Packaging Society. From 2008 thru 2013 he served as the Senior Manager of Advanced Packaging at PacTech USA.
· Select the Apply Now button at the top to start your online application.
· Login using your username and password.
· All applications received by your home institutions priority deadline will be sent to the faculty immediately. Applications will be taken after that deadline for programs with space still remaining until the final application deadline of October 1, 2018.
Final Application Deadline: October 1, 2018
For more information on course content, contact: Prof Andrew Close
On application procedures or logistical information, contact your study abroad office.