Skip to content

Once Accepted


Once you're accepted into your selected program, you still have a few more steps to make before you're ready to leave the country. Use the information and links below to find out more information about traveling, passports and visas, insurance, and program payments.

Click here to hear what pre-departure tips and advice past study abroad students have for you.

Have questions about how to buy a flight, what to pack or how to manage your money while abroad? Go to Weekend Student Adventures!
Passport / Student Visa

Every person who leaves the United States is required by law to have a valid passport. A passport is your ticket in and out of most countries in the world, and most important, your ticket back into the United States after studying or traveling abroad. If you do not already have a passport click here to be directed to the Department of State website in order to apply for a passport. If you do have a passport, congratulations; you're one step closer to your study abroad adventure!  Just be sure your current passport is valid for six months beyond the date you will return to the United States.0

Student Visas
Many countries require that incoming study abroad students have a student visa. Visas indicate that the person in possession of the visa is legally permitted to enter the country. In order to work or volunteer in numerous countries, students must be issued a visa. Every country has a different visa policy so please check with your host country for visa application requirements and costs well before traveling abroad. Also be sure to check with your program or international advisers to see if a visa is necessary for your trip abroad. CPE: International is happy to provide you with general assistance regarding the visa process; however, we are not authorized to provide detailed advice regarding the visa application process for specific countries.  Click here to be directed to the Department of State visa website in order to check your host country's regulations or to apply for a visa.


Elmhurst College requires that all students traveling abroad have health and accident insurance that covers them while in another country.  Before traveling abroad each student participating in an affiliated program needs to check both with their personal medical insurance provider and their chosen program to make sure that they are fully covered. Students in bilateral exchanges or direct enrollment partners should check during CPP 250 instruction. The importance of being adequately insured cannot be stressed enough.

Short-Term Insurance

Elmhurst College requires that all students traveling abroad purchase short-term insurance coverage. Through CISI the insurance will provide the following health and accident coverage:
  • Emergency medical transportation
  • Emergency Evacuation
  • Repatriation of remains 
  • Accidental death & dismemberment 
  • Sickness and hospital benefits 
  • Travel document and passport replacement
  • Baggage delay
  • Travel delay