Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I study abroad?
Studying abroad is a wonderful opportunity to learn about the world and broaden your horizons. It gives you the chance to look at life from a different perspective and learn more about yourself and others.
It is also a valuable experience that will enhance your résumé and future career. Many employers are looking for people who have practical experience living in a different culture. Studying abroad fosters 21st century skills such as independence, resourcefulness, the ability to deal with ambiguity and that you take risks.
Is study away restricted to certain majors/minors?Generally, students in any major are eligible to study away. However, it's important that students plan ahead to ensure appropriate timing and that major/minor requirements can be met while studying away.
When can I study abroad?
Elmhurst College students can study abroad starting in the J-Term of their first year at Elmhurst College. Elmhurst Collegeoffers four different options for study away.
- Long Term Programs: Offered as summer, semester, and year-long programs
- Short Term Programs: Offered as spring break, summer, and J-term
The key in finding the time to go abroad is planning ahead and making sure courses abroad that fulfill major and other College requirements coincide with your time abroad.
How do I choose a program?
Researching is the most important step, so before consider the following questions:
What type of courses do you want to take while studying abroad?
Are you interested in courses in your major?
Are you interested in courses in your minor, AoK or electives?
Is the cost of the program a concern?
What can the program offer you as a study abroad student?
With these questions in mind, take a look at the First Steps link for more valuable information.
NOTE: Before applying for long-term study abroad, you must arrange for an individual advising session with an advisor. To schedule an appointment, login to ECconnect, then select career center, appointments, schedule an appointment, study away.
What is the cost of a long-term abroad program?
Typically, a semester away costs about the same as a term on campus – sometimes less.
- For long-term study abroad programs, students maintain full-time status at Elmhurst and pay tuition as if they were attending classes on campus. This allows students to retain their financial aid during their semester or year abroad.
- Generally students will select and pay for room and board directly with the Elmhurst partner and/or affiliate.
- Scholarships: every Elmhurst partner and/or affiliate offers scholarships. In addition, some students are eligible to apply for national scholarships such as the Gilman and Boren Awards. Visit the Scholarships page for more information.
Don't let misconceptions about price stop you from exploring this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.For more specific information on program costs check program provider websites for the programs that you are interested in or visit the Cost page.